Tuesday, December 11, 2007

A Joy To Be Around


While I am on bed rest I get to keep my little, two year old, Nephew for a few days. I know….Bed rest and keeping a two year old seems like a complete contradiction in terms, but it hasn’t been half bad. Actually, it’s been great! My little man is a pleasure to be around. He is so well mannered and full of joy. Oh, and he is so smart. I only wish I had more time to nurture those smarts. I love to see him imprint.
Being around children is nothing new for me. I have a very fertile family. I was changing diapers before I was ten years olds and babysitting as well. I’ve gotten to witness the way my little brother and sister grew up. I played a big part in them learning to walk, read, talk, learn, all the normal kid things. And of course I got to witness the same with my other nieces, nephews and cousins, but little man is different. Part of his learning process is to mimic. It is very cute, because none of the other kids in my family ever did it. If a word is new to him he will repeat it aloud, like he is forcing his brain to digest it. It’s so cute.
I had planned to use my time off to clean my house and find my motivation, but I must say that I am thoroughly enjoying spending this quality time with my little nephew. It is time I rarely get to exercise, working nights and weekends like I do. So, although I know he loves me (I see it in face whenever I come around), our bond is not as strong as I would like it to be. He doesn’t normally want to go with me, now that he is old enough to voice an opinion. And I tell his mom I will never make he go with me if he doesn’t want to (even though I know he will be find once we are one on one). I just think it is important to respect a child’s feelings; they do have them. Heck, I think the only reason he is hear now is because I went and got him while he was a sleep on Sunday. LOL.
Having my little Nephew just makes me realize how much I would love to have a child of my own running around, but it also makes me realize just how horrible I would be if I did have one. Not that I don’t think I would make an excellent father, it just that they take up all of your damn time (and I need to watch television!) I don’t want my children or my nephew to grow up to be a television junky, like myself. He likes to play, and get to read to him while he is on the potty. (By the way, to all you mothers out there. My nephew is having an extreme problem with constipation. He has since he was born. Never a constant bowel movement. I was the first to notice it and bring it to his mother’s attention. She says that she has taken him to the doctors and they say that there is not a problem, but you tell me what child does not have a bowel movement everyday, let alone in three. Trust me, when he was in diapers, it was a pleasure not to have to change to poopy diapers, but I still knew it was not normal. Nor is it health for him to have all that fecal matter stored up inside of him for so long. Any helpful hints out there? Annie? Nitty?) We gonna go get us some prunes today to eat. Yuck!)
Anyway, yesterday we went to the mall, saw Santa Claus, but I did not tell him that is who he is because we are not going to perpetuate that fantasy with him (not my choice, but I have to respect it), went to toy stores out the but, went to the pet shop, ate at McDonalds, took a nap (thank God), went to the movies (were the only two people in the Bee Movie, which was fine with us), went to Denny’s, came home and finally took our butts to sleep at a little past 11pm (and he fought it all the way).
Today, we are probably going to take uncle’s care back to the shop so they can fix the scratches they put into it, then we are going up to the college to take some pictures, then we are gonna go by us a bigger winter coat, because uncle thinks he jacket is too little for him. Then we are gonna go to the library and then maybe have dinner with Uncle Neil (if he comes by). Oh, and we are gonna go to Wal-Mart to buy us some more underwear; because right not we are running around commando style (uncle does not like doing the laundry). LOL.
Still no comics for you, but you can blame that face up there for it. Oh, and don't even ask about that Solid Gold Dancer top he is wearing in that picture. He was in some type of bootleg fashion show this past Satuday. LOL

6 comments:

fuzzy said...

Funny, I always felt that the child's answer always came from the Parents... I was taught that when I contribute to the house thats when i may START saying no, within reason. Your opinion always mattered but through what the parents thought was the best for the nurturing of the child.

You give him a choice too early and he will forever want that choice and will have the opportunity to rebel at any point!

Unknown said...

Ah, but I disagree with you to an extend, Fuzzy. First, when I say he has a choice, that does not mean he gets his way. There is a difference between the two. But, when it comes to his person, his body, I think he should be able to voice his opinion about it and where it goes, within reason of course. It is when parents and adults don't take the time to listen to children that bad things happen. Most often kids don't want to go because they just don't want to go. It makes complete sense for my litte man not to want to go with me. I am a single, grown ass man, with little in common with him, except our mentalities. However, for most children there is sometime more deep reasons behind them not wanting to go. I will not get to deep with this, because it is not the time or the place, but I will never force my nephew to go with me, if he does not wish to go. When we spend time together, I want it to be because he wants to be with me, not because he was made to go (even though I know we will have fun regardless). We had a blast for the time we had together, although he wore me out. He is in the other bedroom, fast asleep, while I write this comment. In closing, I see where you are coming from, but I am looking at it from a whole different propective. I think people tend to underestimate children, which is a big mistake. Just think if Jesus had been underestimated. Oh, wait a minute....He was.

Peace.

My-Conscience said...

Oh my the 2's....He is just adorable. You need to be taking it easy.

Diva's Thoughts said...

He is a cutie!!!

Ann(ie) said...

He is the cutest little man!!!! And I think you'd BETTER be a daddy one day b/c it's clear you're a natural. Lord knows that I love me some television, but these little miracles just work into your life no matter what and nowadays there's TIVO and they make your shows possible no matter what hour. I love your blog. I'm so glad that we found each other online!! xoxo. Happy Holidays my friend. I'm gonna need updates on this little cutie pie by the way.

Frederick Smith said...

Such a cute story. You're lucky to have him around. I have no little one's, no nephews or nieces, and don't think that will be in the cards for us. It's okay. I'll live vicariously through you and my friends. :-)
fs