Sunday, September 16, 2007

Intermission (Jonathan and Jennifer)


Today's Intermission Showcases Jonathan and Jennifer Frank. I made up the Frank twins when I was in the eight grade. This is not how they initially looked. When they were first conceived I based their entire body type off of a comic I believed was called crazy cat, and then later Heathcliff. As a matter of fact, in the beginning the majority of their antics were stolen completely from Heathcliff cartoons, with me just drawing them in his stead. It was by doing this that I learned how to come up with ideas of my very own.
The whole concept for Jonathan and Jennifer came from an article I read in an issue of Ebony magazine, about this woman who had given birth to twins (one black, one white). The whole idea was fascinating to me so I created the Frank Twins. They were my first shot at reject from the syndicates.
The thought process behind Jonathan and Jennifer were that they were the byproduct of an interracial marriage. Jonathan is black and Jennifer is white. Jonathan has his mother's jeri curl like hair and Jennifer is a natural read head like her dad (note the puff on the top of Jennifer's head. Before that became her little make shift pony tail, it was my idea of the perfect, fluffy cotton tail for a rabbit).
Jonathan and Jennifer have totally different personalities, as you can tell from this somewhat lame cartoon. Jonathan being the quiet intellectual and Jennifer the bossy bully. The dynamics of their relationship is really cute, once I learned to develop it. They were meant to be the first cousins of Quincy Taylor, Quincy came second.
The comic with Jonathan and Jennifer was initial called the Family Tree but I later changed it to Sibling Rivalry, believing that it was the title of the stripe that was turning off the syndicates (It wasn't). Oh, and just another side bar...Note the name Jonathan and Jennifer. My favorite show at the time was Heart to Heart so I named my twins after the main characters of that show.

No comments: