Sunday, September 2, 2007

Intermission (A Matter Of Taste)


At this point I am not sure if anyone is even reading my poor little blog but just in case you are then you are probably wondering why the intermissions. Well, one reason is because at this point in time, @Home does not have a Sunday Comic so it gives me the opportunity to showcase some of my other comic hopefuls that have also been rejected by the big Syndicates. Here we have three of my characters from Army Brats. From left to right we have Buck, UB (Ubaldo) and Derek. Missing from the line up is Cherie, Buck's older sister and leader of the pack. The caption for this one, if I had put it in, would read: "I don't know why he sucks it...Taste horrible."
Anyway, I am afraid I am becoming a blog-aholic. I hate that crap. I'm not trying to be one of those people who are always look at other people's blogs. Especially since the only blog that matters is mine, dang-gone-it! Anyway, while browsing through various blogs I ran across this one by an artist named Belasco. Mr. Belasco's art work is so far removed from mine; one of the biggest differences being that his work depicts erect, cartoons of naked man of color. That being said, his artwork and style is amazing. I am amazed at the fluidity and whimsical of his lines. It was very much inspiring to look at his work and style. I love the way that he captures the facial features and body types of various body styles of my people. I also think it is wonderful that he is not afraid to show various body types (big and small) because cartoon artist tend to glamorize the human form, both with male and female. Looking at his work made me jealous that I didn't have more formal training so I would be better at capturing the movement of the human form. I realize that it is something that I struggle with on a daily basis.
I must say that artist such as Belasco and Wil Eisner really make me want to strive to be a better cartoon artist. I have always thought myself to be one of the best artist out there but when I look at work, by these artist, it makes me realize that maybe I'm not as good as I think I am.....
NAH! I still think I'm the SH*T! Shoot, not only have I developed a hell of a lot of comics, but each one of them are approached in a totally different way. I mean look at them. Every time I come up with an idea for a new comic I decide that each one needs to have a style of their own. Now that's talent, DAMNIT! Unappreciated talent but talent nonetheless. LOL
God Bless, people.

No comments: